The Chairperson of the Social Committee develops the yearly schedule for all monthly Croquet Club social events. He/She arranges for a minimum of three co-hosts for each party, who are then responsible for choosing the social’s location, food, and drink.
The Membership Committee works closely with the Education Committee and is responsible for the following:
- Design Events that encourage new members to try croquet and ultimately join the BHI Croquet Club.
- Follow-up with any attendees to invite them to play Golf Croquet
- Coordinate National Croquet Day and/or Wine and Wickets when conducted.
- Prepare New Member packets to include Croquet College and Croquet Pins.
- Notify Secretary of all information (name, spouse, addresses, telephone number(s), email and a handicap of 20 to be included on current Membership List.
- Notify Treasurer of new member so that Treasurer will notify the Club Treasurer to charge Club account and pay USCA dues.
- Check with New Member to ensure that they received USCA notification and rules of the game.
- Work with the Education Committee to ensure consistency in instruction and focus for all new members.
- Update Channel 3 Cable News page on the Croquet Page.
- Prepare BHI Club Directory description of croquet while encouraging new members.
The purpose of the Croquet Education Committee is to support the croquet club members by providing the resources, mentoring, and encouragement that they need as they participate in lessons from Jeff Soo, professional croquet player.
The following is a summary of the support provided to the BHI Croquet Club members:
- A Library of Croquet resources (books, videos, lessons, etc.) are provided for check-out.
- Each new member is given the BHI Croquet College curriculum that provides an overview of skills, etiquette and strategies needed to be successful in the game of croquet.
- On the second Wednesday of every month, a thirty-minute lesson is given in strategic approaches to the game.
- Any member signed up for lessons with Jeff Soo is eligible for a Club Mentor to work with them on an individual basis to strengthen their understanding of Croquet.
- Leveled practice lessons are provided for members while they are being mentored.
- All members are reminded and encouraged weekly to participate in Wednesday Wickets , Friday’s Women’s Wickets, and Sunday’s Golf Croquet in order to experience a game situation.
The handicap committee observes member play and adjusts handicaps as appropriate. The committee can adjust handicaps no lower than 10.
The BHI Club Coordinator is the Croquet Club liaison with the BHI Club for all arrangements pertaining to food for Croquet Club scramblers and Club tournaments. She arranges for on-court refreshments, facilitated ordering for lunches, and menus for awards luncheons.
The chairperson of the Tournament Committee has the following responsibilities:
- Construct the Play Schedule - After the annual meeting in August, construct a draft schedule for the following year. At this point the draft schedule can simply be the current-year’s schedule translated to appropriate dates for the next year. The draft schedule should be circulated among the Executive Committee members with a request to review for conflicts. The schedule should also be checked against the schedules of the USCA, the BHI Club, Pinehurst, the NC District and the Village. Ideally, the schedule will be finalized by October’s Executive Committee meeting.
- Secure play directors for each tournament and scrambler and integrate the social calendar into the schedule.
- Sanction appropriate tournaments with USCA - The Handicap Adjuster, the Singles Tournament, and the Invitational all must be coordinated with USCA for sanctioning. This involves communicating with the USCA and filling out their form for each sanctioned tournament. This may be done on-line. This step is necessary before USCA will list the tournaments on their web site.
- Sanctioned Tournament Follow-up - After each sanctioned tournament, coordinate with the tournament director to insure that the results are forwarded to the USCA, and with the Club to send a check for the sanction fees.
- The Grounds Committee Chair is responsible for the following:
- • Checking equipment to ensure it is maintained properly.
• Assists with set-up of equipment for Scramblers and Tournaments.
• Ensures maintenance of Stop Clocks.
• Knowledgeable of location of Banner and assists with set-up at selected events.
• Reports any and all concerns to the Executive Committee as needed.
- Each summer the BHI Croquet Executive Committee shall select a Nominating Committee Chair who will in turn select members to assist in the nomination of officers for the following year’s Croquet Executive Committee. Each person nominated must consent to holding said job prior to their names being presented. The names are then submitted for review to the Executive Committee no later than August 1 of each year to ensure that the names will be presented to the Membership in time for the August Annual Meeting. Members will then elect new officers by a show of hands at the Annual meeting. The Executive Committee selects new Committee members on an annual basis.
The role of the Historian is to update the BHICroquet.org website on a regular basis to include items of exceptional note that occur through the years, e.g. Solomon Trophy Event. In addition, they may collect pertinent digital photos to mark special events and to update the website to refresh the visuals.
This page was last updated on:
13 January, 2013